Saturday, March 10, 2012

P I N E


Today is a very big day for me.  This morning, I scrubbed and loofah'ed and tidied.  I also snipped some poems right out and even wrote a whole new one (I named it Pine Barrens!) and then.  I sent it out.

My humble little monster of a full-length manuscript is now officially in the world, which gave me such indigestion, I won't even describe it.  There was heavy breathing and pacing and finger chewing, but it's gone now.  I can't take it back.  Hooray!

(And, breathe.)

I decided to give myself three years before I start to panic.  This isn't the way I always phrase it:  sometimes I say, it is my goal to have it published within three years of the submissions cycle. (March twentieth, twenty-fifteen!)  But either way, I have a three-year hope, which feels right in the middle.  I've heard stories of eleven years; I've heard stories of sixty submissions.  I've also had friends whose books found homes without even going through the submission cycle.  So, you know, we all have our own journeys, which is what I keep saying about that nasty acquisition of Maya (oh, and by the way, essentially the topic of this book), and look at how that ended up.

The three of us took the pups to Hay Creek to celebrate.  It was sixty degrees in Minnesota, and even though we've had the mildest winter ever, we still kept checking the temperature-gauge to make certain we hadn't lost our minds.  It's really this warm, isn't it?  My heart feels good.  (Good and scared.)

If you haven't already, scoot on over to roots + wings to see more photos from today.

1 comment:

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

You've done the important part. I'm glad your heart feels good.