Tuesday, September 20, 2011

two-things-at-once


I was in several writing groups as an undergraduate, but one, which met a few scant times, touched and untouched, was my favorite.  Karen was an MFA student, I was planning to become one myself, and we wrote together, read together, had pasta and bread together, watched Neruda-inspired interpretive dance.  (Remember, E?)

Karen's been bathed in good news lately.  Her book, Chinoiserie, will arrive in the world this January, published by Ahsahta Press, winner of the Sawtooth (of which my friend Colleen McCarthy was a finalist for her book Siren, which is no small feat--congratulations, congratulations!).

And two days ago, Karen and her husband welcomed a baby boy into this world.  Healthy and handsome and so much hair!

(from Karen's announcement email)
"Our voices echo, magnifying your arrival."
- Sylvia Plath, Morning Song

It's all I can do to keep myself rooted, to not hop onto a plane to embrace this new little soul.  What a wonderful, proud thing, what a two-things-at-once, what an overwhelming collection of happiness.  And what a well-deserving poetmama.  Welcome to the tribe:  congratulations.

No comments: